Google WTM Scholarship
Editor's Rating Notes: Excellent program for the exposure and peer network. Includes a retreat and cash component. 2018 edition listed 73 scholars from APAC
Updates * 2019 APAC scholarship applications are open. * Deadline June 3rd, 2019 6:29 am IST. (extended from May 31st 35:59 SGT) * Website and application form reads earlier deadline of May 31st still
About WTM Scholarship
A scholarship offered by Google to girl students. Through the Women Techmakers Scholars Program - formerly the Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship Program - Google is furthering Dr. Anita Borg’s vision of creating gender equality in the field of computer science by encouraging women to excel in computing and technology and become active leaders and role models in the field.
About Anita Borg
Anita Borg (1949 – 2003) was an American computer scientist who founded the Institute for Women and Technology and the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing. She fought to break the barriers that kept women and minorities from excelling in the field of technology. Google gives away the Women Techmakers Scholarship in memory of the efforts of Dr. Anita Borg.
Selected students will receive
- Scholarship : An academic scholarship that’ll cover tuition fees and education-related expenses.
- Retreat : An opportunity to meet fellow scholars and Google mentors and to participate in trainings and workshops at the annual Women Techmakers Scholars' Retreat in one of Google’s offices.
- Community : To be part of an online community of fellow scholars and share resources and collaborate on projects.
- The 2019 Retreat was hosted in Singapore
You may locate our interviews with Previous Winners from our YouTube channel. To know whether we have an interview with a scholar done, check the table below.
|Anusree S||MEC, Thrikkakara||Done|
|Amalu Susan Santhosh||CEC, Chengannur|
|Ann Philip||RIT, Kottayam|
|Aarya R Shankar||CET, Trivandrum|
To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- Identify as female
- Currently be enrolled at an accredited university for the 2019-2020 academic year (full time student)
- Be studying computer science, computer engineering, or a closely related technical field
- Demonstrate a good academic record and strong technical skills (through work done on technical projects and/or participation in coding competitions)
- Exemplify leadership and demonstrate passion for increasing the involvement of women in computer science
- All students graduating in 2020 and beyond are eligible to apply
- Past recipients of any Google scholarship, including the Women Techmakers Scholarship and Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship, are not eligible to apply
- General background information (includes contact information and information about your current and intended institutions)
- Responses to three short answer questions
- Academic transcripts from your current institution
- Current resume
- Optional - Proof of coding competition participation
- Application Instructions
- Application Form
- Previous winners
- WTM twitter handle: @Women_techmakers
- Official Support email: WTMScholars@google.com
- You may read our general guidance on approaching these opportunities from here: https://blog.rethinkfoundation.in/general-opportunity-application-approach-c2522bb077cd
- You may also write to us at email@example.com
Disclaimer: Rethink is NOT the official authority hosting this opportunity. Should you wish to reach the host team, do write to them directly in their support email listed in References section above.